Recipe: Spinach and Bacon Quiche
Prep time: 30 minutes (not counting resting time for the dough)
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
1 1/4 cup (c) flour
1/4 teaspoons (t) salt
7 Tablespoons (T) butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 -2 T ice water
6 ounces thick cut bacon, cut into narrow strips (or lardons )
20 spinach leaves
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 1/4 c half and half
1/4 t salt
1/4 t white pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
1 c cheese
- Mix the flour and salt in the big bowl.
- Add the butter and with your fingers, kind of rub it in until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water and the dough should come together. If it doesn’t, add more water.
- Put the dough inside your fridge to rest for at least an hour. I left mine overnight in a disc shape, wrapped in plastic wrap. Just like a person, your crust needs to get some sleepy time!
- Roll out the dough between two parchment sheets and some extra flour until it can fit into the square pan. Then allow for more resting (30min- 1 hr).
- Poke some holes at the bottom of the crust with a fork and then lay parchment paper over it and put dried beans in it. This way when you pre-bake your crust it won’t make a big bubble! Bake at 180°C for 10-15 minutes. While it is baking…
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 slices and render out the fat. This means heating the bacon on medium heat in the frying pan and then taking it out after 15-20 minutes or until crispy. The remaining fat in the pan is the bacon grease which can be saved in a jar for future recipes, or you need to wipe it out with a paper towel because if poured down your sink, the fat will solidify and clog up your pipes!
- Cut the bacon again into 1 cm pieces.
- Put the bacon at the bottom of the baked crust. Then layer with spinach.
- Mix eggs and half and half together, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over the bacon/spinach and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
Voila! Enjoy your spinach and bacon quiche!
This recipe was originally featured on Kimberly’s food blog at http://chouoishii.wordpress.com/.