By Jane Puchniak
• 2 large tomatoes
• 3-4 large cloves garlic
• 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• ⅓ large block of firm tofu (momen tofu)
• French bread sliced into 4 x 1½”- thick pieces OR 2 slices bread, each cut in half
• ¾ tsp salt
• Pepper to taste
• Optional: 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
• Wash and dice the tomatoes.
• Place tomatoes in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
• Mince the garlic cloves.
• Add the garlic and the Italian seasoning to the bowl and mix.
• Crumble the firm tofu into the mixture.
• Add ½ teaspoon of salt and combine the ingredients.
• Toast the bread until golden brown.
• Drizzle ½ tbsp of olive oil on each individual piece of toast.
• Use a fork and put ¼ of the mixture on each toast. Sprinkle on remaining salt and pepper to taste.
• If using parmesan cheese, sprinkle ½ tbsp over each toast.
• Using a fork to put the mixture on the toasts will prevent excess liquid from making the toasts soggy.
• Italian seasoning is usually available, but if you can’t find it use 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp basil and ½ tsp thyme. All available at most 100¥ stores and supermarkets.
• I add tofu to have some protein in the mix, but if you aren’t a fan, you can decrease the amount of spice by ⅓ and just use tomatoes to have a lighter appetizer.
• Sometimes adding a pinch of sugar can really bring out the flavour of the tomatoes if tomatoes are not in their peak season.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Makes: 1 serving